Did you have recently adopt a Chihuahua puppy and wondering how to take care of a chihuahua puppy? Well, you are not the only one who facing this issue, there are thousands of Chihuahua puppy owners who frequently ask this question. Our today’s article is completely based on this subject. In this article, you learn how to take care of a Chihuahua puppy in detail.
First of all, it is necessary to understand that Chihuahuas are tiny dogs with great personalities. Although their size is small, you have to take care of them just like bigger dogs. Chihuahua puppies are tiny but full of energy little bundles of joy. They are extremely adorable, loving, and friendly companies for you. With good care and attention, you can make them a cherished member of your family.
Now, we will come back to our topic, how can you take good care of your Chihuahua puppies? Normally, good care of a puppy consists of four major steps including Feeding, Training, and Exercising, take good care of health and safety, and Grooming. So, by doing all these steps with good care, you can make your Chihuahua well-groomed, healthy, socialized, and happy. We will discuss all these steps in detail here.
Table of Contents
How to feed your Chihuahua Puppy?
Feeding is one of the basic needs of your Chihuahua puppy. You can make every correct if you are feeding your Chihuahua puppy properly. Here, you will learn some beneficial tips to feed your Chihuahua healthily and safely.
Always give healthy food to your Chihuahua puppy
You need to understand that Chihuahua puppies need a nutritious diet to stay healthy and fit, just like other puppies. So always give your puppy healthy food. Chihuahua puppies don’t need to be fed a specific diet but you should consult with your vet while choosing a diet for them.
- Always keep in mind that Chihuahua puppies need more protein and calories for proper growth, so always choose protein-dense food for them.
- Dry kibble can be a good option for Chihuahua puppies because they are highly nutritious. Avoid canned puppy food as much as possible.
- Like other puppies, Chihuahua puppies are susceptible to develop kidney and heart problems if they are fed a high-salt diet. So, choosing a low-salt diet is the best way to avoid these problems.
Make a proper feeding schedule
Due to the small size, Chihuahua puppies have a very small stomach but with a really fast metabolism. Therefore, you have to feed them multiple times a day to maintain their growth, energy, and normal blood sugar level. How many time you have to feed them in a day usually depends on their age:
- Puppies of age up to 6 months should be fed four times a day while puppies with age up to 12 months need to be fed at least three times a day.
- After one year, they usually become mature and can be fed twice a day.
- It is very important to feed them on schedule particularly during housetraining since you can predict that your dog will need to relieve themselves about half an hour after eating.
Keep them hydrated at all times
Due to their small body size with a lot of energy spending, Chihuahua puppies can become easily dehydrated. So, don’t forget to leave out a bowl fill with fresh and clean water for them all time. The bowel should be shallow enough for them to reach into it. Avoid using too deep bowls that can cause difficulty for the puppies to drink water. In this case, puppies may try to climb into water bowls and can drown, so be careful with that.
Don’t give toxic foods to your puppies
Some specific foods are toxic for Chihuahua puppies and other dog species. Some foods are even so toxic that a very small amount of them can cause issues with the digestive systems of puppies. Human food is also considered a toxic food for Chihuahua puppies. According to the research studies, the following foods are dangerous for puppies’ health and you should avoid them:
- Dried Fruits
- Dairy onions
Train and Exercise your Chihuahua Puppy
After feeding your Chihuahua puppies properly, the next step is training and exercising them. To train and exercising your puppy in a good way, follow the below-given tips:
Let your puppies understand and adjust to their new environment
Arriving in a new home can be an overwhelming experience for your new Chihuahua puppy. So, give them so time to become comfortable with you by understanding their new environment including other pets and your family members. Always be affectionate with them and take special care of them for a few first days.
- Let your puppy explore their new home under your supervision. It is the best way to keep them out of trouble while exploring home.
- Give them as much time as they require to become fully comfortable around others and in the new home.
- According to research studies, an older Chihuahua dog may adjust more slowly to new conditions as compared to the puppies. So, you have nothing to worry about in this regard as your puppies will only take a few weeks to completely adjust themselves according to the new environment.
Socialize you Chihuahua Puppies
Introduce your puppies to new people, animals, and the environment. This first interaction should be under your supervision to avoid any misbehaving problem. Expose your puppy to new situations and people. It is very helpful to establish their future habits.
- The first sixteen weeks are a critical socialization period for Chihuahua puppies. You should socialize them as much as possible in the period, but don’t forget to supervise them while doing so.
- Introduce your puppy to other puppies by inviting your friends and family members with friendly dogs, in your home. However, do so in a controlled environment in which you can step in if any aggressive behaviors are shown.
Make a strong bond with your puppy
Chihuahuas are famous for building a strong bond with their owners in a shorter period of time as compared to other dogs. So, you can make a strong bond with your puppy that will help you train them easily. Following tips can help you make a strong relationship with your Chihuahua puppy:
- Be physically affectionate with your puppy. You can do so by rubbing their belly and petting them.
- Reward them when they follow your commands.
- Spend some time with your puppy daily because these tiny dogs always seek love and attention.
Take your chihuahua puppy to exercise daily
As we have mentioned earlier, Chihuahuas are tiny dogs with very high energy levels. They need to be exercised daily to expend their energy and a positive way, otherwise, they can become destructive or hyper. Always keep in mind that if you want to keep your puppy happy, keep them exercised regularly.
Short walks are the best exercise for the puppy. Therefore, you should arrange at least two short walks of 15-20 minutes each for them daily. Avoid over-exercising them and encourage them to exercise and play according to their energy levels. Play some pick-and-drop games with your puppy which are good for mental stimulations. The most favorite paly of Chihuahuas is fetch but don’t forget to use a toy that is small enough for your puppy to hold on to.
Train them to walk on a leash
Once you get vaccinated your puppy, you can take them for a walk in public. Since walking is the best and easy exercise for them, you should teach them to walk on a leash early.
- For teaching them to walk on a leash, use a harness instead of a collar because it can easily slip for the small necks of Chihuahua puppies. At the start, a 6-foot leash will be a good length to use on walks.
- Teach them how to heel and match your gain by stopping whenever your puppies walk too far ahead of you. Wait for the full extension of the leash and the puppy will only go further after you call their name and encourage them to get back to you. Eventually, they will be able to walk by themselves without your help.
Train your puppy in the house as well
House training your puppy has the same importance as outside training. It required a strong bond between owner and puppy to work together according to the daily schedule. While training your puppy in the house, always encourage good behaviors and be nice to them.
Teach your puppy some basic commands
Teaching your puppy some basic commands is the most important aspect of their training. Chihuahuas are big-personality dogs that have the potential to become a leader of the pack if you let them. For that, teach them some basic commands such as sit, come and stay etch. Always encourage and reward good behavior but don’t reward bad behaviors. Be consistent while teaching them basic commands. Make a schedule of teaching them 15 minutes daily without any interruptions.
Keeping your Chihuahua puppies safe and healthy
Keeping your chihuahua safe is an extremely important aspect to learning how to take care of chihuahua puppies. Since Chihuahua puppies are very active and energetic, they can be destructive as well. Due to their size, they can get into trouble easier than other dogs. They love to enjoy their mouth and can eat almost everything in front of them. So, you should have to take some special measures to keep them safe and healthy.
Make your home safe for puppy
To keep your home safe for puppies, secure and keep any hazardous items away from them.
- Lock away toxic and hazardous items such as cleaning products, chemicals, and medications, etc.
- Never leave any fragile, breakable, and loose item on the floor to keep your puppy safe from getting into any trouble.
- Use puppy gates or crates to confine them in a certain safe area in your home when you are away from home.
Don’t forget to register your puppy with the municipal government to keep them safe from being lost.
Take your puppy to a veterinarian for regular checkups and vaccination
Before purchasing or adopting your Chihuahua puppy, immediately take them to your veterinarian for necessary vaccination. Complete the necessary vaccination courses recommended by your veterinarian. Keep your puppy away from public places and other dogs until they are fully vaccinated.
Visit your Veterinarian for the implantation of the microchip in the scruff of your puppy’s neck. It is extremely helpful to find your puppy in case he gets lost or stolen. Before reaching puberty, continuously spaying and neutering your puppy is very important to decrease aggression and increase attention span.
Always maintain healthy blood sugar levels in your puppy and keep them safe from accidental injuries.
Grooming Your Chihuahua puppy
As you know, Chihuahuas have two varieties based on their coat type: long or short. Due to their small size, Chihuahuas shed their coats only in very manageable amounts. So, their grooming is very important to keep their coat healthy and clean by removing dead hair.
For grooming your Chihuahua puppy properly, follow the below-given tips:
- Brush their coat at least once a week with a soft bristle brush.
- Trim their nails carefully because of their small size. It is very important because Chihuahuas have very delicate paws and they can become stressful if nails are not trimmed regularly.
- Clean their teeth daily to avoid dental problems and disease.
- Bathe your puppy regularly with a gentle shampoo specially designed for puppies. Bathing your puppy regularly can save them from various skin-related problems such as rashes, irritation, and dryness, etc.
- Clean and wipe their ears with soft brushes and protect them from temperature extremes.
Thank You very much for reading this article! We let us know your favorite section of this article how to take care of chihuahua puppies.